Disable YouTube Comments using a Browser
If a time comes when you no longer want people to leave comments under your videos, you can disable them in a browser on any device. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your YouTube account.
- On the left side of the screen, choose “Your videos.” Click the “hamburger icon” to expand the options if collapsed.
- YouTube Studio automatically opens. Click on “Settings” in the bottom left corner.
- In the new pop-up window, choose “Community” and then click on “Defaults.”
- Choose “Disable comments.”
- To save changes, click “Save” in the lower right corner.
How to Disable Comments on YouTube Live
Unless you know your audience pretty well when you’re hosting a live stream, chances are that some users will post random things that may be irrelevant or even problematic. To prevent this from happening, sometimes it’s better to turn the chat box off. That way, you’ll not have any inconveniences to deal with, and make sure everyone focuses is on the video rather than the comments.
During your event or live stream, you can still turn your Live chat on or off at any time. Here’s how to do it.
- Open “Live Control Room.”
- Go to “Stream and Webcam,” and on the upper right corner, click on “Edit.”
- Click on “Customization” and uncheck “Live chat.”
If your live stream is on and you’ve suddenly decided to turn off your Live chat, YouTube enables you to delete messages, place users in a timeout, or hide problematic users and their messages from your channel. You can do this by merely holding “Alt” on your keyboard to pause the chat and address particular messages.
There’s also a way to hide a viewer if you feel they’re obstructing your Live chat or getting too much attention. Here’s how to do this using YouTube Studio:
- Open YouTube Studio.
- Click on “Settings” and find “Community.”
- Go to “Automated Filters,” and in that tab, you’ll find “Hidden users,” where you can type the name of anyone you want to hide.
- If you want to unhide someone, you’ll have to click on the “X” next to their name.
- Then, click “Save.”
How to Disable YouTube Comments on iPhone and Android Apps
If you’ve just realized that you want to disable comments on YouTube, and you don’t have your computer with you, don’t worry.
YouTube allows you to access the Advanced Settings on your phone, where you can turn off comments when you decide to. If you’re using the YouTube app on an iPhone or Android, here’s what you need to do:
- Open your “YouTube Studio” app.
- Under the “Content” section, tap on the “vertical ellipsis” on the right side of the video.
- Choose “Edit video.”
- In the “More options” section, tap on “Tags, category, comments & more.”
- In the “Comments” section, select the dropdown for “Comment Visibilitry” and choose “Disable comments.”
- Touch the “back arrow” in the top left section. This step is required to save the changes since there is no option on this page.
- Tap on “Save” in the upper right corner.