We show you how to configure your laptop to prevent it from going to sleep or turning off when you close the screen.
When we use laptops, usually when closing the lid they are suspended or turned off, this occurs due to the parameters configured in the operating system to save energy, avoid unnecessary wear and tear on the equipment and take care of the health of the battery your laptop.
Perhaps due to your work or for other reasons you need your computer not to suspend or turn off when you close the screen, many times you can perform tasks without using the screen, but we do need our laptop to remain active.
If you don’t want either to happen with your computer (suspend or shutdown), you can change the settings from the Windows Control Panel or in System Preferences on Mac.
How to Prevent Windows From Suspending when Closing The Laptop lid
To modify the automatic blocking option on your Windows 10 computer, you must follow these steps:
- Access the Windows Control Panel.
- Open the Windows control panel
- Go to Hardware and Sound.
- Open the “Hardware and Sound” menu
- Open Power Options.
- You will see a window with several and in addition to the left side of the screen, you will find different menus.
- Opens the menu Choose the behavior of the lid closure.
- Choose “Power options> Choose the behavior of the lid closure”
- A window will open that will show you various options to configure the behavior of the system when performing different actions, such as when the equipment connected to the power is being used or when the battery is being used. In this way, we can choose the actions we want, differentiating between both cases.
- Click on When closing the lid and the options menu will open, from there choose what you want to happen when the device is using the battery. The default option is “Suspend”, but you can change it to another if you wish. You can
- choose between Hibernate, Shut down, and Do nothing.
- Go back to the option When closing the lid and choose what you want to happen when the equipment is connected to electrical power: Suspend, Hibernate, Turn off, Do nothing. If you check the option “Do nothing”, the computer will not suspend or turn off when you close the lid.
- Indicate what you want to happen when closing the lid when using the battery or when using electrical power
Click on the Save changes button and the new settings will automatically be saved so that the laptop remains on when you close it. This is useful if, for example, you want to use a secondary display connected to the laptop without the need to keep it open.
- Click the “Save changes” button
In the case of Apple computers
there are several actions that can be performed with the screen closed if it is prevented from suspending or turning off, such as downloading files, using an external screen, listening to music from the computer portable, etc.
We are going to tell you step by step how to prevent your Mac laptop from suspending or turning off when you lower the lid.
- Open System Preferences.
- On a Mac laptop open “System Preferences”
- Click Energy Saver
- Choose the option “Energy Saving”
- You will see different options to use when you are connected to the power or when you are using the battery.
- In the options with battery, consumption can be saved by limiting the time for the equipment to suspend, although if you want, you can also choose to never turn it off.
- Select what you want to happen when the device is using the battery.
- Among the options for the equipment connected to electrical energy, there are also several options, one of them is the one that indicates that it does not go to sleep when the screen is lowered.
- Choose what you want to happen when the equipment uses electrical energy.
- Among other things, you can also schedule your Mac with a schedule for automatic on and off, which is very handy if you want to let the computer perform certain tasks such as checking mail or downloading updates and then shutting down.
- You can also schedule times to automatically turn the equipment on or off.
As we have shown you, it is not difficult at all to make changes in the Windows or macOS settings to prevent the laptop from suspending when closing the screen and gives you the advantage of being able to use it to save energy.