Here are the ways to download Windows Defender definitions manually quickly and easily. Windows Defender is the ideal tool to protect your computer from any threat. In fact, it allows you to search for a virus on your PC and eliminate it without leaving any trace, so it is important to always keep it updated.
In most cases, Windows Defender updates only if you have this feature turned on. But in some rare cases, the tool is not updated for a long time and this makes your system prone to malicious attacks. So, read on to learn how to download Windows Defender definitions manually.
What is Windows Defender and why keep its definitions up to date?
Windows Defender is an anti-malware tool that protects your devices from data theft, viruses, malware, spyware, among others. In other words, it serves as a protection method when scanning and cleaning your computer, but what if your entire network depends on this protection tool and Windows Defender is out of date?
The answer is very simple. The tool will not be able to fully protect your devices if the Windows Defender definition is not updated regularly. We recommend that you check for Windows Defender updates daily, but in case something goes wrong, you can do it manually.
How to Manually Download Windows Defender Definition Updates Using the Standard Method
To begin with the manual update of Windows Defender, you must first know if you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10. With this clear, you will only have to complete the steps that we detail below:
- Download the installation files for the version of Windows you are using. You can download the 32-bit or 64-bit version for Windows 10 here.
- Then, go to the download section on your PC and click on the downloaded file to install the Windows Defender definitions.
- Now, just follow the prompts in the installation wizard to update Windows Defender, and you’re done.
How to do it using Windows PowerShell
You can also download Windows Defender definition updates using Windows PowerShell. Follow the instructions below.
- Simultaneously press the start key + Q and type Windows PowerShell.
- When it appears, click on it with the right button of your mouse and select the option Run as administrator.
- Provide the credentials that will be requested.
- Once done, first type the command ‘cd ..’ and hit the Enter key.
- Then type the command ‘cd ..’ again and hit the Enter key again.
- Now, type the following command and hit the Enter key to update the definitions: PS C:> Update-
- If you want to update the definition source, you must modify the above command as follows: P S C:> Update-MpSignature -UpdateSource MicrosoftUpdateServer.
It’s also possible to do it via the Command Prompt.
Another way to install Windows Defender Definitions is through the Command Prompt.
- Type Command Prompt or CMD in the search box on the taskbar.
- You will see the Command Prompt option appear. Select Run as administrator by using the right mouse button on it.
- Once there, execute the command “% ProgramFiles% Windows DefenderMpCmdRun.exe” -SignatureUpdate and press the Enter key.
- The system will search for available updates and if there are any, it will download and install them for you.
- And what you want is to shield the security of your computer, so you may be interested in knowing the 10 best antiviruses for Windows 10.