You can enhance your gaming experience on your Mac using the PlayStation 5 DualSense controller. The PS5’s DualSense controller has given a lot to talk about since it came out, and while it obviously works better with Sony’s popular console, you can also use it on a PC or Mac. In fact, connecting it is much easier to do. what you imagine. So we recommend that you keep reading to learn how to connect your PlayStation 5 controller with a Mac. Let’s get started!
This is how you can connect a PS5 DualSense controller to a Mac
A connection via Bluetooth is the best way to connect your PS5 controller with a Mac and keep in mind that the pairing method remains the same no matter what version of macOS you are using. Of course, before putting the controller in pairing mode, make sure it is sufficiently charged. Then follow these steps:
- On your Mac, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen and select the System Preferences option.
- Then click on Bluetooth and make sure the option is turned on.
- Now, press and hold the PlayStation button in the center of the controller and the Share button in the upper left corner.
- You need to press both buttons until the blue light starts to flash. This will be the signal that the controller is in pairing mode.
- Go back to your Mac and click the Connect button when the driver appears below the available devices in the Bluetooth window.
- If your controller is listed as a DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller, don’t panic, as it will still work perfectly with your Mac.
Note that this wireless connectivity protocol will have a significant impact on the battery life of the controller and your Mac. Alternatively, you can use a USB-A to USB-C cable for older Macs or a USB-C to USB cable. -C for a newer or higher Thunderbolt 3 port to connect the controller to your Mac. That way, you can conserve your DualSense battery without any hassle.
How to connect a PS5 DualSense controller to Steam on a Mac
Steam offers several games that are compatible with the macOS platform and also offer compatibility with the PlayStation 5 controller. So it is a great option to connect your DualSense with Steam and enjoy games that support the PlayStation button configuration. You can complete the process, by complying with the following steps:
Open the Steam application on your Mac.
- Click on Steam in the menu bar at the top left of the screen.
- Select the Preferences option.
- When the Preferences window opens, select the Controller option in the navigation panel that you will see
- on the left of the screen.
- Then, click the General Driver Settings button in the panel on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Once there, check the PlayStation Setup Support box.
- Steam will now display your DualSense controller under the Detected Controllers heading.
What to keep in mind when using your DualSense controller?
Although you can use the PS5’s DualSense controller to play games on your Mac, you won’t enjoy all of its features. Many Mac games will automatically detect your controller, but very few will support the default button settings.
Also, only selected games will allow you to change these button settings if it doesn’t automatically default. So far, none of the games on macOS can use haptic feedback, which means your hands won’t feel the explosions, jumps, or other effects. On the other hand, the lauded adaptive trigger feature won’t be available either, so you’d be missing out on one of the best PS5 experiences when playing on your Mac.
And if you want to know many more secrets about the PlayStation 5, you may want to know how you can factory reset it in a few steps.